Materials and Methods
Tumor Palpation and Excision
Lung Metastasis Analysis
- Williams T.M.
- Medina F.
- Badano I.
- Hazan R.B.
- Hutchinson J.
- Muller W.J.
- Chopra N.G.
- Scherer P.E.
- Pestell R.G.
- Lisanti M.P.
Whole-Mount Analysis of Mammary Glands
Histologic Analysis of Mammary Tumors
- Williams T.M.
- Sotgia F.
- Lee H.
- Hassan G.
- Di Vizio D.
- Bonuccelli G.
- Capozza F.
- Mercier I.
- Rui H.
- Pestell R.G.
- Lisanti M.P.
Determination of Serum Lipid Levels
Cholesterol Content of Mammary Gland and Tumors
Dietary Cholesterol Accelerates Mammary Tumor Onset and Burden in PyMT Transgenic Mice
PyMTTg Mice Fed a Western-Type Diet Show Increased Lung Metastasis
Dietary Cholesterol Accelerates the Development of Multifocal Dysplastic Lesions in the Mammary Gland
Dietary Cholesterol Increases the Extent and Histologic Grade of Mammary Lesions
Dietary Cholesterol Is Associated with a Protein Expression Pattern Characteristic of Advanced Tumorigenic Mammary Lesions
Mammary Tumorigenesis Is Associated with Reduced Plasma Cholesterol and HDL Levels in PyMTTg Mice
|Chow diet||Western diet|
|4w||112.7 ± 7.9||112.3 ± 6.1||110.1 ± 5.8||109.4 ± 6.8|
|8w||135.9 ± 3.9||131.2 ± 3.2||221.9 ± 5.3a||210.9 ± 5.5a|
|12w||132.3 ± 4.4||127.6 ± 5.0||205.7 ± 5.0a||190.3 ± 6.3a,b|
Increased Expression in Tumors of the Protein SR-BI Responsible for the Selective Uptake of Cholesteryl Ester from HDL
Diet, Cholesterol, and Cancer
Cholesterol and Breast Cancer
Cholesterol and Cellular Proliferation
Role of Lipoproteins in Tumor Formation
- Epidemiology of breast cancer.Lancet Oncol. 2001; 2: 133-140
- Breast cancer epidemiology: summary and future directions.Epidemiol Rev. 1993; 15: 256-263
- Cancers of the prostate and breast among Japanese and white immigrants in Los Angeles County.Br J Cancer. 1991; 63: 963-966
- The metabolic syndrome: a high-risk state for cancer?.Am J Pathol. 2006; 169: 1505-1522
- ABC of obesity: obesity and cancer.BMJ. 2006; 333: 1109-1111
- Neutral lipids production, transport, utilization.Anticancer Res. 1996; 16: 1441-1449
- Reduced low-density-lipoprotein cholesterol causing low serum cholesterol levels in gastrointestinal cancer: a case control study.J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2004; 23: 233-240
- Multilevel regulation of low-density lipoprotein receptor and 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase gene expression in normal and leukemic cells.Blood. 1994; 84: 2689-2698
- Decreased feedback regulation of low density lipoprotein receptor activity by sterols in leukemic cells from patients with acute myelogenous leukemia.J Lipid Res. 1997; 38: 2436-2445
- Cholesterol catabolism in patients with acute myelogenous leukemia and hypocholesterolemia: suppressed levels of a circulating marker for bile acid synthesis.Cancer Lett. 2001; 170: 169-175
- Human prostate cancer cells lack feedback regulation of low-density lipoprotein receptor and its regulator, SREBP2.Int J Cancer. 2001; 91: 41-45
- 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase activity and low-density lipoprotein receptor expression in diffuse-type and intestinal-type human gastric cancer.J Gastroenterol. 2002; 37: 504-508
- Elevated uptake of low density lipoprotein by drug resistant human leukemic cell lines.Biochem Pharmacol. 2002; 63: 2169-2180
- The association between lipid profiles and breast cancer among Taiwanese women.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2007; 45: 1219-1223
- HDL-cholesterol and incidence of breast cancer in the ARIC cohort study.Ann Epidemiol. 2008; 18: 671-677
- Serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and breast cancer risk by menopausal status, body mass index, and hormonal receptor in Korea.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009; 18: 508-515
- Induction of mammary tumors by expression of polyomavirus middle T oncogene: a transgenic mouse model for metastatic disease.Mol Cell Biol. 1992; 12: 954-961
- Transgenic polyoma middle-T mice model premalignant mammary disease.Cancer Res. 2001; 61: 8298-8305
- Progression to malignancy in the polyoma middle T oncoprotein mouse breast cancer model provides a reliable model for human diseases.Am J Pathol. 2003; 163: 2113-2126
- Caveolin-1 gene disruption promotes mammary tumorigenesis and dramatically enhances lung metastasis in vivo: role of Cav-1 in cell invasiveness and matrix metalloproteinase (MMP-2/9) secretion.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 51630-51646
- Loss of caveolin-1 gene expression accelerates the development of dysplastic mammary lesions in tumor-prone transgenic mice.Mol Biol Cell. 2003; 14: 1027-1042
- Image processing with Image J.Biophotonics Int. 2004; 11: 36-42
- The mammary pathology of genetically engineered mice: the consensus report and recommendations from the Annapolis meeting.Oncogene. 2000; 19: 968-988
- Stromal and epithelial caveolin-1 both confer a protective effect against mammary hyperplasia and tumorigenesis: caveolin-1 antagonizes cyclin D1 function in mammary epithelial cells.Am J Pathol. 2006; 169: 1784-1801
- A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification.Can.J. Biochem. 1959; 37: 911-917
- Placental transfer of cholesterol-4-14C into rabbit and guinea pig fetus.J Lipid Res. 1967; 8: 558-564
- Influence of dietary fat and cholesterol on milk lipids and on cholesterol metabolism in the rat.J Nutr. 1981; 111: 276-286
- Effect of dietary fat and cholesterol on milk composition, milk intake and cholesterol metabolism in the rabbit.J Nutr. 1981; 111: 432-441
- The loss of estrogen and progesterone receptor gene expression in human breast cancer.J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 1998; 3: 85-94
- Ezetimibe is an inhibitor of tumor angiogenesis.Am J Pathol. 2009; 174: 1017-1026
- Profiling the cancer genome.Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2010; 11: 133-159
- Advances in cancer epidemiology: understanding causal mechanisms and the evidence for implementing interventions.Annu Rev Public Health. 2005; 26: 37-60
- Nutrition and cancer prevention: a multidisciplinary perspective on human trials.Annu Rev Nutr. 2004; 24: 223-254
- Predisposition to atherosclerosis in the head, heart, and legs: the Framingham study.JAMA. 1972; 221: 661-666
- Serum cholesterol and cancer risk: an epidemiologic perspective.Annu Rev Nutr. 1992; 12: 391-416
- Serum cholesterol levels in relation to the incidence of cancer: the JPHC study cohorts.Int J Cancer. 2009; 125: 2679-2686
- Lovastatin and beyond: the history of the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2003; 2: 517-526
- 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors and the risk of cancer: a nested case-control study.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 2363-2368
- Lipid-lowering drug use and breast cancer in older women: a prospective study.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2003; 12: 749-756
- The risk of cancer in users of statins.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 2388-2394
- Statins and the risk of colorectal cancer.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 2184-2192
- Isoprenoids as mediators of the biological effects of statins.J Clin Invest. 2002; 110: 285-288
- Diet-induced obesity impairs mammary development and lactogenesis in murine mammary gland.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 288: E1179-E1187
- Effect of high fat diet on body weight and mammary tumor latency in MMTV-TGF-alpha mice.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004; 28: 956-962
- The cholesterol content of normal and enlarged prostates.Cancer Res. 1942; 2: 372-375
- Cholesterol targeting alters lipid raft composition and cell survival in prostate cancer cells and xenografts.J Clin Invest. 2005; 115: 959-968
- Relationship between mevalonate and mitogenesis in human fibroblasts stimulated with platelet-derived growth factor.J Biol Chem. 1984; 259: 1546-1551
- Studies on cell proliferation and mevalonic acid metabolism in cultured human fibroblasts.Ann NY Acad Sci. 1985; 454: 261-269
- Selective estrogen receptor modulators and phytoestrogens.Planta Med. 2008; 74: 1656-1665
- Low-dose dietary phytoestrogen abrogates tamoxifen-associated mammary tumor prevention.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 879-886
- High density lipoproteins stimulate mitogen-activated protein kinases in human skin fibroblasts.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1997; 17: 1667-1674
- High density lipoprotein–induced signaling of the MAPK pathway involves scavenger receptor type BI-mediated activation of Ras.J Biol Chem. 2003; 278: 16478-16481
- Selective inhibition of tumor microvascular permeability by cavtratin blocks tumor progression in mice.Cancer Cell. 2003; 4: 31-39
- Leaky tumor vessels: consequences for tumor stroma generation and for solid tumor therapy.Prog Clin Biol Res. 1990; 354A: 317-330
- High-density lipoprotein binding to scavenger receptor-BI activates endothelial nitric oxide synthase.Nat Med. 2001; 7: 853-857
- High density lipoproteins and the growth of vascular endothelial cells in serum-free medium.In Vitro. 1981; 17: 519-530
- Nitric oxide synthase inhibition by N(G)-nitro-l-arginine methyl ester inhibits tumor-induced angiogenesis in mammary tumors.Am J Pathol. 1999; 155: 1381-1390
- Nitric-oxide production by murine mammary adenocarcinoma cells promotes tumor-cell invasiveness.Int J Cancer. 1999; 81: 889-896
- Live or let die: oestrogen regulation of survival signalling in endocrine response.Breast Cancer Res. 2007; 9: 306
- HDL-associated estradiol stimulates endothelial NO synthase and vasodilation in an SR-BI-dependent manner.J Clin Invest. 2003; 111: 1579-1587
- Scavenger receptor of class B expressed by osteoblastic cells are implicated in the uptake of cholesteryl ester and estradiol from LDL and HDL3.J Bone Miner Res. 2008; 23: 326-337
Supported by the Jane Barsumian / Mary Lyons Trust , and the Susan G. Komen Foundation (P.G.F.); and by a postdoctoral fellowship from the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science and a FIS Postdoctoral Fellowship from the Spanish Health Ministry (G.L.).
A guest editor acted as editor-in-chief for the manuscript. No person at Thomas Jefferson University or Albert Einstein College of Medicine was involved in the peer review process or final disposition of this article.
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy