- Takano H.
- Yanagisawa R.
- Ichinose T.
- Sadakane K.
- Yoshino S.
- Yoshikawa T.
- Morita M.
Materials and Methods
Measurement of Respiratory Function
Sample Collection and Analyses
Blood and BALF
Preparation of Lung Homogenates and MPO Assay
Measuring 8-Isoprostane Concentrations in BALF
Cytokine and Chemokine Analysis
Microarray Data Analysis
DEP Exposure Exacerbates Cockroach Allergen–Induced Asthma-Like Pulmonary Inflammation
Increased Pulmonary Oxidative Stress
DEP Enhances AHR
Exacerbation of Pulmonary Neutrophil Infiltration
- Takano H.
- Yanagisawa R.
- Ichinose T.
- Sadakane K.
- Yoshino S.
- Yoshikawa T.
- Morita M.
CXC Chemokines Are Responsible for Enhanced Pulmonary Neutrophil Recruitment in Airway Inflammation and AHR by DEP
- Downs S.H.
- Schindler C.
- Liu L.J.
- Keidel D.
- Bayer-Oglesby L.
- Brutsche M.H.
- Gerbase M.W.
- Keller R.
- Kunzli N.
- Leuenberger P.
- Probst-Hensch N.M.
- Tschopp J.M.
- Zellweger J.P.
- Rochat T.
- Schwartz J.
- Ackermann-Liebrich U.
- Team S.
- Li N.
- Harkema J.R.
- Lewandowski R.P.
- Wang M.Y.
- Bramble L.A.
- Gookin G.R.
- Ning Z.
- Kleinman M.T.
- Sioutas C.
- Nel A.E.
- Natarajan S.
- Kim J.
- Bouchard J.
- Cruikshank W.
- Remick D.G.
- Asthma.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 350-362
- Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) Program: The global burden of asthma: executive summary of the GINA Dissemination Committee report.Allergy. 2004; 59: 469-478
- The asthma epidemic.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 2226-2235
- Environmental risk factors and allergic bronchial asthma.Clin Exp Allergy. 2005; 35: 1113-1124
- Trends in childhood asthma: prevalence, health care utilization, and mortality.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 315-322
- Asthma prevalence, health care use, and mortality: United States, 2005–2009.Natl Health Stat Report. 2011; : 1-14
- Oxidants and the pathogenesis of lung diseases.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008; 122: 456
- Cardiovascular mortality and long-term exposure to particulate air pollution: epidemiological evidence of general pathophysiological pathways of disease.Circulation. 2004; 109: 71-77
- Biology of diesel exhaust effects on respiratory function.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005; 115: 221
- Exposure to traffic: lung function and health status in adults with asthma.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009; 123: 626
- The effect of air pollution on asthma and allergy.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2008; 8: 139-146
- Air pollution and allergy: you are what you breathe.Nat Immunol. 2005; 6: 223
- Diesel exhaust and asthma: hypotheses and molecular mechanisms of action.Environ Health Perspect. 2002; 110: 103-112
- The role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis and treatment of asthma.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010; 1203: 133-137
- Mechanisms and implications of air pollution particle associations with chemokines.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2008; 232: 469-477
- Cytokine and chemokine expression patterns in lung epithelial cells exposed to components characteristic of particulate air pollution.Toxicology. 2009; 259: 46-53
- Oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of asthma.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2004; 4: 116-122
- The diesel exhaust component pyrene induces expression of IL-8 but not of eotaxin.Int Immunopharmacol. 2003; 3: 1371-1379
- Diesel exhaust particles enhance lung injury related to bacterial endotoxin through expression of proinflammatory cytokines, chemokines, and intercellular adhesion molecule-1.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 165: 1329-1335
- Eotaxin represents the principal eosinophil chemoattractant in a novel murine asthma model induced by house dust containing cockroach allergens.J Immunol. 2001; 167: 2808-2815
- Reproducibility of a novel model of murine asthma-like pulmonary inflammation.Clin Exp Immunol. 2004; 136: 224-231
- Assessing pulmonary pathology by detailed examination of respiratory function.Am J Pathol. 2010; 177: 1861-1869
- Cellular basis of the role of diesel exhaust particles in inducing Th2-dominant response.J Immunol. 2005; 174: 2412-2419
- Noninvasive and invasive pulmonary function in mouse models of obstructive and restrictive respiratory diseases.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2010; 42: 96-104
- CXC chemokines modulate IgE secretion and pulmonary inflammation in a model of allergic asthma.Cytokine. 2005; 32: 178-185
- Acute pulmonary lipopolysaccharide tolerance decreases TNF-alpha without reducing neutrophil recruitment.J Immunol. 2008; 181: 8402-8408
- Quantitation of eosinophil and neutrophil infiltration into rat lung by specific assays for eosinophil peroxidase and myeloperoxidase: application in a Brown Norway rat model of allergic pulmonary inflammation.J Immunol Methods. 1996; 198: 1-14
- A series of prostaglandin F2-like compounds are produced in vivo in humans by a non-cyclooxygenase, free radical-catalyzed mechanism.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1990; 87: 9383-9387
- Isoprostanes: markers and mediators of oxidative stress.FASEB J. 2004; 18: 1791-1800
- Diesel exhaust particles exert acute effects on airway inflammation and function in murine allergen provocation models.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003; 112: 905
- Effects of ultrafine carbon particle inhalation on allergic inflammation of the lung.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006; 117: 824-830
- Use of unrestrained, single-chamber barometric plethysmography to evaluate sensitivity to cholinergic stimulation in mouse models of allergic airway disease.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008; 121: 334-335
- Eosinophil and neutrophil activity in asthma in a one-year trial with inhaled budesonide: the impact of smoking.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1996; 153: 1519-1529
- In vivo nasal challenge with diesel exhaust particles enhances expression of the CC chemokines rantes, MIP-1alpha, and MCP-3 in humans.Clin Immunol. 2000; 97: 140-145
- Oxidative stress causes IL8 promoter hyperacetylation in cystic fibrosis airway cell models.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009; 40: 58-65
- The effect of oxidative stress on histone acetylation and IL-8 release.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003; 301: 572-577
- The effect of recombinant interleukin-8 on eosinophils' and neutrophils' migration in vivo and in vitro.Allergy. 2003; 58: 795-801
- Eosinophil trans-basement membrane migration induced by interleukin-8 and neutrophils.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2006; 34: 760-765
- Outdoor air pollution, climatic changes and allergic bronchial asthma.Eur Respir J. 2002; 20: 763-776
- The epidemiology and genetics of asthma risk associated with air pollution.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005; 115 (quiz 220): 213-219
- Reduced exposure to PM10 and attenuated age-related decline in lung function.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 2338-2347
- Nasal challenge with diesel exhaust particles can induce sensitization to a neoallergen in the human mucosa.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999; 104: 1183-1188
- Enhanced human IgE production results from exposure to the aromatic-hydrocarbons from diesel exhaust: direct effects on B-cell IgE production.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1995; 95: 103-115
- Enhancement of allergic inflammation by the interaction between diesel exhaust particles and the immune system.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1998; 102: 539-554
- Ambient ultrafine particles provide a strong adjuvant effect in the secondary immune response: implication for traffic-related asthma flares.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2010; 299: L374-L383
- Allergic adjuvant activity of air pollutants in an intranasal mouse model.Allergy. 2007; 62: 170
- A pollen guinea pig model to study adjuvant effects of air pollutants.Allergy. 2008; 63: 1530
- Effects of diesel exhaust on allergic airway inflammation in mice.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1998; 102: 805-812
- Environmental epigenetics and allergic diseases: recent advances.Clin Exp Allergy. 2010; 40: 1602-1610
- Targeting the epigenome in the treatment of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2009; 6: 693-696
- Combined inhaled diesel exhaust particles and allergen exposure alter methylation of T helper genes and IgE production in vivo.Toxicol Sci. 2008; 102: 76-81
- The impact of air pollutants as an adjuvant for allergic sensitization and asthma.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2009; 9: 327-333
- In vivo gene silencing (with siRNA) of pulmonary expression of MIP-2 versus KC results in divergent effects on hemorrhage-induced, neutrophil-mediated septic acute lung injury.J Leukoc Biol. 2005; 77: 846-853
- Protective role of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in ozone-induced airway inflammation.Environ Health Perspect. 2007; 115: 1557-1563
- Neutrophilic inflammation in severe persistent asthma.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1999; 160: 1532-1539
- Neutrophils in asthma.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2007; 7: 464-468
- Rapid up-regulation of CXC chemokines in the airways after Ag-specific CD4+ T cell activation.J Immunol. 2001; 166: 1233-1240
- Do endotoxin and air pollution have a synergistic relationship to asthma onset or exacerbation?.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009; 180: 1037-1038
- Immunomodulating effects of endotoxin in mouse models of allergic asthma.Clin Exp Allergy. 2010; 40: 536-546
- Exposure to traffic-related particles and endotoxin during infancy is associated with wheezing at age 3 years.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009; 180: 1068-1075
- Enhancement of acute lung injury related to bacterial endotoxin by components of diesel exhaust particles.Thorax. 2003; 58: 605-612
- Early-life co-administration of cockroach allergen and endotoxin augments pulmonary and systemic responses.Clin Exp Allergy. 2009; 39: 1069-1079
- Pulmonary endotoxin tolerance protects against cockroach allergen-induced asthma-like inflammation in a mouse model.Int Arch Allergy Appl Immunol. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1159/000330896
- Tolerance to microbial TLR ligands: molecular mechanisms and relevance to disease.J Endotoxin Res. 2006; 12: 133-150
- Chronic pulmonary LPS tolerance induces selective immunosuppression while maintaining the neutrophilic response.Shock. 2010; 33: 162-169
- Neutrophils enhance eosinophil migration across monolayers of lung epithelial cells.Clin Exp Allergy. 2001; 31: 444-452
- Association between neutrophilic and eosinophilic inflammation in patients with severe persistent asthma.Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2005; 137: 7-11
- The biologic role of interleukin-8: functional analysis and expression of CXCR1 and CXCR2 on human eosinophils.Blood. 1999; 93: 694-702
- IL-8 induces a transient arrest of rolling eosinophils on human endothelial cells.J Immunol. 2001; 166: 588-595
- Induction of the CXCL1 (KC) chemokine in mouse astrocytes by infection with the murine encephalomyelitis virus of Theiler.Virology. 2007; 358: 98-108
- Airway inflammatory response to ozone in subjects with different asthma severity.Eur Respir J. 1999; 13: 274-280
- The relationship between airways inflammation and asthma severity.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 161: 9-16
- Linkage analysis of susceptibility to ozone-induced lung inflammation in inbred mice.Nat Genet. 1997; 17: 475-478
- Elevated concentrations of exhaled hydrogen peroxide in asthmatic patients.Chest. 2001; 120: 1136-1139
- Reduced superoxide dismutase in lung cells of patients with asthma.Free Radic Biol Med. 1997; 22: 1301-1307
- Eosinophil peroxidase produces hypobromous acid in the airways of stable asthmatics.Free Radic Biol Med. 2002; 33: 847-856
- Elevated secretion of myeloperoxidase by neutrophils from asthmatic patients: the effect of immunotherapy.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001; 107: 623-626
- Antioxidant supplements for prevention of mortality in healthy participants and patients with various diseases.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; (CD007176)
- Oxygen radical scavengers selectively inhibit interleukin 8 production in human whole blood.J Clin Investigation. 1992; 90: 2123-2129
- Effects of nanoparticulate saponin-platinum conjugates on 2,4-dinitrofluorobenzene-induced macrophage inflammatory protein-2 gene expression via reactive oxygen species production in RAW 264.7 cells.BMB Rep. 2009; 42: 304-309
Supported by a grant from the NIH ( R01 ES013528 ).
CME Disclosure: None of the authors disclosed any relevant financial relationships.
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy