Materials and Methods
MPO and LPO in Vitro Assay
In Vitro Bacterial Killing Assay
Fe2+-Dependent Bleomycin-Induced DNA Damage Assay
DSS-Induced Colitis in Mice
- Castaneda F.E.
- Walia B.
- Vijay-Kumar M.
- Patel N.R.
- Roser S.
- Kolachala V.L.
- Rojas M.
- Wang L.
- Oprea G.
- Garg P.
- Gewirtz A.T.
- Roman J.
- Merlin D.
- Sitaraman S.V.
Quantitative Reverse Transcription-PCR
Histology and Immunohistochemistry
EGCG Inhibits Heme Peroxidases in a Dose-Dependent Fashion
Fe3+-Bound EGCG Fails to Inhibit Heme Peroxidase Activity
- Reznichenko L.
- Amit T.
- Zheng H.
- Avramovich-Tirosh Y.
- Youdim M.B.
- Weinreb O.
- Mandel S.
Innate Immune Protein Lcn2 Prevents EGCG from Inhibiting Heme Peroxidases Activity
EGCG Inactivates Heme Peroxidase-Catalyzed Reaction
EGCG Inhibits MPO Activity in the Inflamed Gut of Colitic Mice
EGCG Attenuates DSS-Induced Colitis in Mice
- Choi E.Y.
- Kim E.C.
- Oh H.M.
- Kim S.
- Lee H.J.
- Cho E.Y.
- Yoon K.H.
- Kim E.A.
- Han W.C.
- Choi S.C.
- Hwang J.Y.
- Park C.
- Oh B.S.
- Kim Y.
- Kimm K.C.
- Park K.I.
- Chung H.T.
- Jun C.D.
Oral Administration of Iron-Saturated EGCG Fails to Inhibit MPO in Vivo in Acute Colitis
- Hou Z.
- Sang S.
- You H.
- Lee M.J.
- Hong J.
- Chin K.V.
- Yang C.S.
- Li G.X.
- Chen Y.K.
- Hou Z.
- Xiao H.
- Jin H.
- Lu G.
- Lee M.J.
- Liu B.
- Guan F.
- Yang Z.
- Yu A.
- Yang C.S.
- Playford R.J.
- Belo A.
- Poulsom R.
- Fitzgerald A.J.
- Harris K.
- Pawluczyk I.
- Ryon J.
- Darby T.
- Nilsen-Hamilton M.
- Ghosh S.
- Marchbank T.
- New insights into the mechanisms of polyphenols beyond antioxidant properties; lessons from the green tea polyphenol, epigallocatechin 3-gallate.Redox Biol. 2014; 2: 187-195
- The major green tea polyphenol, (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate, inhibits obesity, metabolic syndrome, and fatty liver disease in high-fat-fed mice.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 1677-1683
- Green tea polyphenols and sulfasalazine have parallel anti-inflammatory properties in colitis models.Front Immunol. 2013; 4: 132
- Anti-infective properties of epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a component of green tea.Br J Pharmacol. 2013; 168: 1059-1073
- Green tea epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) and other flavonoids reduce Alzheimer's amyloid-induced mitochondrial dysfunction.J Alzheimers Dis. 2011; 26: 507-521
- Turmeric and green tea: a recipe for the treatment of B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15: 1123-1125
- EGCG, a major green tea catechin suppresses breast tumor angiogenesis and growth via inhibiting the activation of HIF-1alpha and NFkappaB, and VEGF expression.Vasc Cell. 2013; 5: 9
- Epigallocatechin gallate inhibits the proliferation of colorectal cancer cells by regulating Notch signaling.Onco Targets Ther. 2013; 6: 145-153
- Green tea polyphenols for prostate cancer chemoprevention: a translational perspective.Phytomedicine. 2010; 17: 3-13
- A prospective phase II trial of EGCG in treatment of acute radiation-induced esophagitis for stage III lung cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 114: 351-356
- Epidemiology and risk factors for IBD.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015; 12: 205-217
- The role of neutrophils during intestinal inflammation.Mucosal Immunol. 2012; 5: 354-366
- Green tea polyphenol epigallocatechin-3-gallate shows therapeutic antioxidative effects in a murine model of colitis.J Crohns Colitis. 2012; 6: 226-235
- Myeloperoxidase: a front-line defender against phagocytosed microorganisms.J Leukoc Biol. 2013; 93: 185-198
- Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin, a siderophore-binding eukaryotic protein.Biometals. 2006; 19: 211-215
- Dual action of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007; 18: 407-413
- The neutrophil lipocalin NGAL is a bacteriostatic agent that interferes with siderophore-mediated iron acquisition.Mol Cell. 2002; 10: 1033-1043
- Interplay between enterobactin, myeloperoxidase and lipocalin 2 regulates E. coli survival in the inflamed gut.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 7113
- Inhibition by polyphenolic phytochemicals and sulfurous compounds of the formation of 8-chloroguanosine mediated by hypochlorous acid, human myeloperoxidase, and activated human neutrophils.Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2012; 76: 2208-2213
- EGCG inhibit chemical reactivity of iron through forming an Ngal-EGCG-iron complex.Biometals. 2013; 26: 1041-1050
- Labile iron pool: the main determinant of cellular response to oxidative stress.Mutat Res. 2003; 531: 81-92
- Oxidation of tartaric acid in presence of iron.J Chem Soc Trans. 1894; 65: 899-911
- Über die Katalyse des Hydroperoxydes (On the catalysis of hydroperoxide).Naturwissenschaften. 1932; 20: 948-950
- Iron and inflammatory bowel disease.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2001; 15: 429-438
- Dietary iron supplementation enhances DSS-induced colitis and associated colorectal carcinoma development in mice.Dig Dis Sci. 2002; 47: 1266-1278
- Lactoperoxidase: structural insights into the function, ligand binding and inhibition.Int J Biochem Mol Biol. 2013; 4: 108-128
- Inhibition of myeloperoxidase by benzoic acid hydrazides.Biochem J. 1995; 308: 559-563
- Mechanism of inactivation of myeloperoxidase by 4-aminobenzoic acid hydrazide.Biochem J. 1997; 321: 503-508
- Oxidation of guaiacol by myeloperoxidase: a two-electron-oxidized guaiacol transient species as a mediator of NADPH oxidation.Biochem J. 1998; 336: 395-404
- The real-time-based assessment of the microbial killing by the antimicrobial compounds of neutrophils.ScientificWorldJournal. 2011; 11: 2382-2390
- Universal chemical assay for the detection and determination of siderophores.Anal Biochem. 1987; 160: 47-56
- A simple, highly sensitive and improved method for the measurement of bleomycin-detectable iron: the ‘catalytic iron index’ and its value in the assessment of iron status in haemochromatosis.Clin Sci (Lond). 2001; 100: 239-247
- Targeted deletion of metalloproteinase 9 attenuates experimental colitis in mice: central role of epithelial-derived MMP.Gastroenterology. 2005; 129: 1991-2008
- Fecal lipocalin 2, a sensitive and broadly dynamic non-invasive biomarker for intestinal inflammation.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e44328
- Dextran sodium sulfate inhibits the activities of both polymerase and reverse transcriptase: lithium chloride purification, a rapid and efficient technique to purify RNA.BMC Res Notes. 2013; 6: 360
- Dual roles of CD40 on microbial containment and the development of immunopathology in response to persistent fungal infection in the lung.Am J Pathol. 2010; 177: 2459-2471
- Clinicopathologic study of dextran sulfate sodium experimental murine colitis.Lab Invest. 1993; 69: 238-249
- Reduction of iron-regulated amyloid precursor protein and beta-amyloid peptide by (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate in cell cultures: implications for iron chelation in Alzheimer's disease.J Neurochem. 2006; 97: 527-536
- Fenton reaction is primarily involved in a mechanism of (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate to induce osteoclastic cell death.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002; 292: 94-101
- Heme to protein linkages in mammalian peroxidases: impact on spectroscopic, redox and catalytic properties.Nat Prod Rep. 2007; 24: 571-584
- Iron chelator triggers inflammatory signals in human intestinal epithelial cells: involvement of p38 and extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling pathways.J Immunol. 2004; 172: 7069-7077
- Plant-derived anti-inflammatory compounds: hopes and disappointments regarding the translation of preclinical knowledge into clinical progress.Mediators Inflamm. 2014; 2014: 146832
- Myeloperoxidase acts as a source of free iron during steady-state catalysis by a feedback inhibitory pathway.Free Radic Biol Med. 2013; 63: 90-98
- Mechanism of hypochlorous acid-mediated heme destruction and free iron release.Free Radic Biol Med. 2011; 51: 364-373
- Modulation of colonic inflammation in Mdr1a(−/−) mice by green tea polyphenols and their effects on the colon transcriptome and proteome.J Nutr Biochem. 2013; 24: 1678-1690
- Therapeutic effect of epigallocatechin-3-gallate in a mouse model of colitis.Eur J Pharmacol. 2008; 579: 411-417
- Green tea epigallocatechin-3-gallate mediates T cellular NF-kappa B inhibition and exerts neuroprotection in autoimmune encephalomyelitis.J Immunol. 2004; 173: 5794-5800
- The antioxidant (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits rat hepatic stellate cell proliferation in vitro by blocking the tyrosine phosphorylation and reducing the gene expression of platelet-derived growth factor-beta receptor.J Biol Chem. 2003; 278: 23381-23389
- Inhibition of tumor promoter-induced activator protein 1 activation and cell transformation by tea polyphenols, (−)-epigallocatechin gallate, and theaflavins.Cancer Res. 1997; 57: 4414-4419
- (−)-Epigallocatechin gallate suppresses adipocyte differentiation through the MEK/ERK and PI3K/Akt pathways.Cell Biol Int. 2012; 36: 147-153
- Protective effects of (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate against TNF-alpha-induced lung inflammation via ROS-dependent ICAM-1 inhibition.J Nutr Biochem. 2013; 24: 124-136
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits STAT-1 activation and protects cardiac myocytes from ischemia/reperfusion-induced apoptosis.FASEB J. 2004; 18: 1621-1623
- Green tea polyphenols block endotoxin-induced tumor necrosis factor-production and lethality in a murine model.J Nutr. 1998; 128: 2334-2340
- Inhibition of NADPH oxidase subunits translocation by tea catechin EGCG in mast cell.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007; 362: 504-509
- Radical scavenging activity of tea catechins and their related compounds.Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 1999; 63: 1621-1623
- The antioxidant and pro-oxidant activities of green tea polyphenols: a role in cancer prevention.Arch Biochem Biophys. 2010; 501: 65-72
- Myeloperoxidase deficiency attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung inflammation and subsequent cytokine and chemokine production.J Immunol. 2009; 182: 7990-7996
- Neutrophil restraint by green tea: inhibition of inflammation, associated angiogenesis, and pulmonary fibrosis.J Immunol. 2003; 170: 4335-4341
- (−)Epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits leukocyte elastase: potential of the phyto-factor in hindering inflammation, emphysema, and invasion.J Leukoc Biol. 2002; 71: 73-79
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate ameliorates rats colitis induced by acetic acid.Biomed Pharmacother. 2008; 62: 189-196
- A review of the efficacy of dietary polyphenols in experimental models of inflammatory bowel diseases.Food Funct. 2015; 6: 1773-1786
- Green tea extract and (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate, the major tea catechin, exert oxidant but lack antioxidant activities.FASEB J. 2005; 19: 807-809
- Mechanism of action of (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate: auto-oxidation-dependent inactivation of epidermal growth factor receptor and direct effects on growth inhibition in human esophageal cancer KYSE 150 cells.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 8049-8056
- Pro-oxidative activities and dose-response relationship of (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate in the inhibition of lung cancer cell growth: a comparative study in vivo and in vitro.Carcinogenesis. 2010; 31: 902-910
- Production of hydrogen peroxide and methionine sulfoxide by epigallocatechin gallate and antioxidants.Anticancer Res. 2001; 21: 2633-2641
- Chemiluminescence analysis of the prooxidant and antioxidant effects of epigallocatechin-3-gallate.Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007; 16 Suppl 1: 153-157
- Deleterious effects of high concentrations of (−)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate and atorvastatin in mice with colon inflammation.Nutr Cancer. 2012; 64: 847-855
- High-dose green tea polyphenols induce nephrotoxicity in dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis mice by down-regulation of antioxidant enzymes and heat-shock protein expressions.Cell Stress Chaperones. 2011; 16: 653-662
- The modifying effects of green tea polyphenols on acute colitis and inflammation-associated colon carcinogenesis in male ICR mice.Biofactors. 2010; 36: 43-51
- On the iron requirement of lactobacilli grown in chemically defined medium.Curr Microbiol. 1998; 37: 64-66
- Lack of a role for iron in the Lyme disease pathogen.Science. 2000; 288: 1651-1653
- Trace element requirements of Lactobacillus acidophilus.Nature. 1967; 214: 520
- Effects of Epigallocatechin gallate against Enterococcus faecalis biofilm and virulence.Arch Oral Biol. 2015; 60: 393-399
- The pathogen-associated iroA gene cluster mediates bacterial evasion of lipocalin 2.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006; 103: 16502-16507
- Rectal dialysate and fecal concentrations of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin, interleukin-8, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in ulcerative colitis.Am J Gastroenterol. 1999; 94: 2923-2928
- Effects of mouse and human lipocalin homologues 24p3/lcn2 and neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin on gastrointestinal mucosal integrity and repair.Gastroenterology. 2006; 131: 809-817
- Deletion of TLR5 results in spontaneous colitis in mice.J Clin Invest. 2007; 117: 3909-3921
- Activation of toll-like receptor 3 protects against DSS-induced acute colitis.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2007; 13: 856-864
- Flagellin suppresses epithelial apoptosis and limits disease during enteric infection.Am J Pathol. 2006; 169: 1686-1700
Supported by NIH grants R01 DK097865 (M.V.-K.), R03 DK094864 (M.V.-K.), and T32AI074551 (B.S.Y.) and Pennsylvania State University Dean's Schultz endowment College of Health and Human Development SEED grant (M.V.-K.).
B.S.Y. and R.A.O. contributed equally to this work.
Disclosures: None declared.
User LicenseElsevier user license |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy