Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Regulation of gastrointestinal smooth muscle function by interstitial cells.Physiology (Bethesda). 2016; 31: 316-326
- Gastrointestinal physiology and function.Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2017; 239: 1-16
- Bacteria: a new player in gastrointestinal motility disorders–infections, bacterial overgrowth, and probiotics.Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2007; 36 (xi): 735-748
- Functional gastrointestinal disorders in inflammatory bowel disease: impact on quality of life and psychological status.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 26: 916-923
- Regulation of gastrointestinal motility–insights from smooth muscle biology.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 9: 633-645
- Neuropilin functions as an essential cell surface receptor.J Biol Chem. 2015; 290: 29120-29126
- Neuropilin is a receptor for the axonal chemorepellent semaphorin III.Cell. 1997; 90: 739-751
- Neuropilin-2, a novel member of the neuropilin family, is a high affinity receptor for the semaphorins Sema E and Sema IV but not Sema III.Neuron. 1997; 19: 547-559
- Neuropilin is a semaphorin III receptor.Cell. 1997; 90: 753-762
- A requirement for neuropilin-1 in embryonic vessel formation.Development. 1999; 126: 4895-4902
- Targeting of both mouse neuropilin-1 and neuropilin-2 genes severely impairs developmental yolk sac and embryonic angiogenesis.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002; 99: 3657-3662
- Targeting endothelial and tumor cells with semaphorins.Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2007; 26: 421-431
- Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor receptors in smooth muscle cells.J Cell Physiol. 2001; 188: 359-368
- Upregulation of neuropilin-1 by basic fibroblast growth factor enhances vascular smooth muscle cell migration in response to VEGF.Cytokine. 2005; 32: 206-212
- VEGF-A165 induces human aortic smooth muscle cell migration by activating neuropilin-1-VEGFR1-PI3K axis.Biochemistry. 2008; 47: 3345-3351
- Neuropilin-1 mediates PDGF stimulation of vascular smooth muscle cell migration and signalling via p130Cas.Biochem J. 2011; 435: 609-618
- Increased smooth muscle contractility in mice deficient for neuropilin 2.Am J Pathol. 2012; 181: 548-559
- Human airway smooth muscle cell proliferation from asthmatics is negatively regulated by semaphorin3A.Oncotarget. 2016; 7: 80238-80251
- Semaphorin-3A protects against neointimal hyperplasia after vascular injury.EBioMedicine. 2019; 39: 95-108
- Deletion of neuropilin 2 enhances detrusor contractility following bladder outlet obstruction.JCI Insight. 2017; 2: e90617
- Neuropilin 1 is essential for gastrointestinal smooth muscle contractility and motility in aged mice.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0115563
- Temporally controlled somatic mutagenesis in smooth muscle.Genesis. 2000; 28: 15-22
- Essential roles of enteric neuronal serotonin in gastrointestinal motility and the development/survival of enteric dopaminergic neurons.J Neurosci. 2011; 31: 8998-9009
- Neuropilins in neoplasms: expression, regulation, and function.Exp Cell Res. 2006; 312: 584-593
- Semaphorin-mediated axonal guidance via Rho-related G proteins.Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2001; 13: 619-626
- ABL2/ARG tyrosine kinase mediates SEMA3F-induced RhoA inactivation and cytoskeleton collapse in human glioma cells.J Biol Chem. 2008; 283: 27230-27238
- Inverse gradient of nitrergic and purinergic inhibitory cotransmission in the mouse colon.Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2016; 216: 120-131
- Multifaceted role of neuropilins in the immune system: potential targets for immunotherapy.Front Immunol. 2017; 8: 1228
- Interstitial cells of Cajal integrate excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmission with intestinal slow-wave activity.Nat Commun. 2013; 4: 1630
- The roles of PDGFRalpha signaling in the postnatal development and functional maintenance of the SMC-ICC-PDGFRalpha+ cell (SIP) syncytium in the colon.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2019; 31: e13568
- Smooth muscle cell genome browser: enabling the identification of novel serum response factor target genes.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0133751
- Transcriptome of interstitial cells of Cajal reveals unique and selective gene signatures.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0176031
- Transcriptome analysis of PDGFRalpha+ cells identifies T-type Ca2+ channel CACNA1G as a new pathological marker for PDGFRalpha+ cell hyperplasia.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0182265
- Smooth Muscle Transcriptome Browser: offering genome-wide references and expression profiles of transcripts expressed in intestinal SMC, ICC, and PDGFRalpha(+) cells.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 387
- Regulation of mTOR signaling by semaphorin 3F-neuropilin 2 interactions in vitro and in vivo.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 11789
- Smooth muscle cell-specific transcription is regulated by nuclear localization of the myocardin-related transcription factors.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007; 292: H1170-H1180
- Diaphanous 1 and 2 regulate smooth muscle cell differentiation by activating the myocardin-related transcription factors.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007; 27: 478-486
- Severe intestinal obstruction on induced smooth muscle-specific ablation of the transcription factor SRF in adult mice.Gastroenterology. 2007; 133: 1948-1959
- Inducible mouse model of chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction by smooth muscle-specific inactivation of the SRF gene.Gastroenterology. 2007; 133: 1960-1970
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Supported by the NIH R01 DK077195 (R.M.A.) and pilot award funding from P30DK034854 (R.M.A.), R01 DK104641 (R.M.A. and D.R.B.), and R01HL141858 (D.R.B.); the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Research Service BX001790 and BX003680 (M.P.S.); and the Children's Urological Foundation .
G.L. and V.C. contributed equally to this work.
D.R.B., M.P.S., and R.M.A. shares co–senior authorship.
Disclosures: None declared.
Some data in the article were presented in preliminary form at the Society for Pelvic Research Annual Meeting on December 1, 2018 (Adam RM, Doyle C, Vasquez E, Pelton K, Cristofaro V, Bielenberg DR, Sullivan MP. Neuropilin 2: a novel regulator of gut motility), and at the Experimental Biology Meeting on April 7, 2019 [Bielenberg DR, Doyle C, Vasquez E, Pelton K, Cristofaro V, Sullivan MP, Adam RM. Altered gut motility in mice lacking neuropilin 2 in smooth muscle. FASEB J. 2019, 33(Suppl):496.31.].
Current address of K.P., Department of Oncologic Pathology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA; of C.D., Novartis Ireland Limited, Dublin, Ireland; of E.V., Division of Urology, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA.